Eddyville was founded by Jabish P. Eddy, in 1841, before Iowa became a state. It was a place for trade with the Indians and for pioneers to provision and ford the Des Moines river.
|
EDDYVILLE IOWA MAHASKA * MONROE* WAPELLO COUNTIES
|
SCHOOLS | FLOODS | LOCAL NEWS | LEGION | CEMETERY | MUSEUM | CIVIL WAR | CHURCHES Eddyville in the CIVIL WAR Tales of old Eddyville, by Frank Brown, a tribute publishing company, copyright in 1967. GAR post named in honor of John Wilcox came up to the ranks rapidly in the seventh infantry and seventh cavalry Wilcox came to Eddyville from Ohio and on July 24, 1861 and listed as fifth Corporal Edwards, and had reached position of major. He was also mustard in the service August 22, 1961. He was promoted to fifth Sergeant, October 18, 1861 and again on October 18 the same day the first sergeant. He was slightly wounded in the arm November 7, 1861 Belmond Missouri and on November 22, 1861 he was promoted the second tenant. He resign September 26, 1862, but was immediately appointed captain and transferred to Company B seventh cavalry under the organization. He was promoted third Battalion major November 27, 1865 and with mustard out May 17, 1866 at Fort Levenworth Kansas.
Thomas Cale is the only soldier known to have a list of twice during
the Civil War at least in this community at the age of 18 he listed
in the eighth infantry on July 7, 1862 and record show that was just
charge for disability January 1863 Springfield Missouri five months
later June 14, 1863 he can listed this time in eight Calvary as
Wagner but on April 30, 1864 was transferred to invalid corps. He
returned to Eddyville and was employed as a stonecutter for John
Lafferty.
Henry C Beamer a long time resident of enroll County living west of
Eddyville, at the outbreak of the Civil War, then 25 years of age
and his wife, Martha, and three young children originally from Ohio
we’re homesteading near Fort Leavenworth Kansas. He listed in the
Kansas cavalry volunteers of the union army on August 12, 1861 for
three-year term of duty and was honorably discharged on the 25th day
of September 1864. These facts are matter of record at the Albia
courthouse but what do we know is how young wife on Homestead with
three baby survive with no government, allotment or housing project
in which to live, but survive returned I were. They did the
government first each cavalry man his uniform inside pistol . The
story of the children, remember best was of which their grandfather
was a member. Henry C femur is the only civil war soldier buried at
Bridgeport cemetery.
In the early summer of 1840, Jabesh, Philip Eddie was granted
license by Mayor John beach Indian agent, an agency city to
establish a trading post at the sac and fox village of hard fish,
which is now the heart of Eddyville. He traded with the Indians
until the treaty ceased in 1842 Eddie was the most fortunate of any
of the large traders in finding his schedule of claims that gets the
engines very little, reduced by the commissioners who’s duty it was
at the treaty to adjust, all outstanding claims against Indians,
Eddie located his post long to Maureen river at a place, which is
now the south west corner of Eddyville at this post to carry on
trade with the Indians were living in the heart fish village in
those living in the village of Kish ke kosh. Mr. Eddie employed
number of Whiteman to raise melons and other products with his soul
to the Indians. Among these men were Joshua Smith, Henry Smith, WC
herrin, and William mcklvain who are paid $20 a month. When the sac
and fox is crowded around Eddie’s long store, they became intently
interested in the bright and shining articles that were displayed by
Richard butcher, and Daniel much the stock I’ve been home from
Burlington in the rough shelves, displayed flashy calico, gingham,
velvet and flannel cloth Gowdy shrouds leggings blankets and shirts,
lead powder and cats for their muzzle loading guns tech cloth,
replace the bark on the wickiups, Brighton, pants, cups, buckets,
and kettles and many other kinds of merchandise appeal to the
Indians desire of ownership. Any Indian would willingly trade a
coonskin for a half pound of bright vermilion paint. Some of the
Indians bought coffins from Eddie and then this way they change the
method of burying their dead. In 1937 a monument in honor of chief,
hard fish was erected, commemorating the founding of the village in
1837. After the removal of the sac and fox is to the porch of the
lawyer, Valley above red rock, and which is now Marion county hard
fish established his village near the mouth of the raccoon river he
lived there until October 1845 and soon after left iowa with the
rest of his tribe. Mr Eddy left for St Louis in 1844.
|
Copyright © Wapello County IAGenWeb. All rights reserved. All materials located on this website are the sole property of the webmaster and the original contributors (file donations). You may copy any of this information for your own personal research but please refrain from selling it commercially or reposting it online without permission from the author(s).