We have before us several copies of what was
without doubt the first daily newspaper published in Mt. Pleasant and
Henry County. On April 7, 1865 the “Mt. Pleasant Journal”, a
weekly republican paper, issued Vol. 1, No. 1 of the “Daily Evening
Journal”. Geo W. Edwards and O.H. Snyder were the editors and
proprietors. The announcement was to the point:
“We present today the first issue of the “Daily Evening Journal”.
The paper is printed as an experiment. If the people of Mt. Pleasant and
Henry County want a daily paper, they can have one. The continuance of
this sheet will depend upon the encouragement from the public.
Particular attention will be given to local affairs. We will give full
telegraphic reports up to the hour of going to press, being fourteen
hours later news than you can get in any other paper.”
*****
The daily edition was probably started on account
of the demand for news of the great Civil War coming to a close, and
reports of the surrender of sections of the Confederate armies were
filling the newspapers. The issue of the 10th of the new daily came out
with news of the surrender of General Lee to General Grant, and the
paper reflected the spirit of the town. On the 15th the new daily came
cut with mourning rules, announcing the death of President Lincoln. We
have perfectly preserved copies up to and including the issue of April
24. How much longer the daily venture continued is not stated, but
probably not long. It was not until 1872 that the next daily paper was
started, the “Daily Reporter”, which was the beginning of the
present “Daily News”. From 1872 to this date, seventy-two
years, a daily paper has been printed without interruption.
*****
In running down the fading columns of the little
sheet, glowing with the inspiration of the closing days of the Civil
War, our eye caught a familiar name, “Lieut. Baron H. Crane.” It was in
the closing paragraph of a long report of Col. George A. Stone,
commanding officer of the 25th Iowa Infantry, concerning the surrender
of Columbia, S.C. and of the Third Brigade of the 15th Army Corps, of
which he was in temporary command. At the close of the long official
report to the headquarters, he paid tribute to the officers and men of
the brigade, and particularly his staff officers of whom Lieut. Baron
Crane was a member.
*****
Lieutenant Crane came with his parents to Mt.
Pleasant in 1853 and started his career as a farmer. With the outbreak
of the Civil War, however, he enlisted as a private in Co. B, 25th Iowa
Inf, which was organized here in 1862. The young recruit had a rather
lively service. He was in twenty-seven actual “shooting” engagements,
was wounded at the Battle of Chattanooga, and was with his regiment at
the surrender of Columbia. Discharged in June, 1865, farmed four years;
and in 1869 moved to town and started a hardware store on the east side
of the square, which without interruption has remained in the family to
this day, same building, same name of Crane, same line of business. A
real record. For some years, the Crane residence was on North Adams,
about where the Methodist parsonage stands. About 1885, Baron Crane
built the large residence on East Washington street, now owned by the
college and the home of its president.
*****
The first Crane to arrive in Mt. Pleasant was
Rev. Eber Crane, a Baptist minister, who reached here in 1853, and
during most of his life here resided in the two-story brick residence on
Lincoln, at Saunders, and where he lived until his death in 1884. Eber
Crane was the first of five generations of permanent citizens of the
community.
For many years, Mrs. Baron Crane treasured in her home, one of the
battle flags of the 25th Iowa Regiment, but before her death, she turned
it over to the State of Iowa, and it is now preserved among the other
war flags in the rotunda of the State Capital at Des Moines.
Just one more reference to the Cranes. The next time you are in Des
Moines, go to the soldiers’ monument on the capitol grounds and closely
examine the bright childish faces peering from the bronze tablets just
beneath the heroic bronze statues. If you are sharp-eyed, you will
discover the very youthful features of R.K. Crane of this community.
When Mrs. Harriet Ketcham of this city was developing the details of the
monument, which she had been commissioned by the state to design, these
bronze tablets were among them, and in her selection of subjects she
picked, among others, R.K., whom she knew well.
The more we examined those small sheets on the first venture into the
daily newspaper field in Mt. Pleasant, the more interesting material we
recovered. Here is the short item:
“Our readers will remember a telegram which appeared a few days ago,
announcing the blowing up of the U.S. steamer, “Milwaukee”, near Mobile.
The vessel was commanded by James H. Gillis, son of the Hon. James L.
Gillis of this city. Another brother was also an officer on the vessel.
No details of the disaster have as yet been received, other than that
she was blown up by a rebel torpedo.”
James H. Gillis, commander of the “Milwaukee”, rose to the rank of
commodore, a rank equal to the present rank of Rear Admiral. His brother
on the ship was Robert S. Gillis, for many years head of the old
National State Bank, a navy paymaster. Two of Robert R. Gillis’ sons,
James T. and Henry, live here in Mt. Pleasant.
The “Milwaukee” was a double turreted monitor of 1,700 tons, and was
armed with two eleven-inch guns in each turret. She was laid down in
1862, was commissioned in 1864 and was lost in 1865, during operations
in the Blakely River, one of the small streams flowing into Mobile Bay.
With the United States entering the World War in 1918, the navy
proceeded to build about 250 destroyers and one of them was named the
“Gillis” presumably for Commodore Gillis. At the close of the war, the
“Gillis”, with hundreds of other smaller vessels, was sold for scrap.
*****
“New Industry – U.L. Phillips has purchased the
foundry in the western part of the city and will engage in the
manufacture of agricultural implements extensively, as soon as the
necessary arrangements can be made.”
The foundry referred to was known as the Mt. Pleasant Foundry and
Machine Works, and was located on West Monroe about where the Gas plant
stands. Several enterprises were established there, but did not live
long. One of the ventures was a “salted” coal mine.
*****
Here is another item:
“Dr. Charles Elliott has sold his farm some three miles from this city
for $10,000 cash. A Mr. William Litzenberg from Pennsylvania is the
purchaser. The Doctor has already invested the proceeds of the sale in
7-30 U.S. Bonds.”
This was the well-known Litzenberg farm in Section 35, Marion Township.
Dr. Elliott was president of Iowa Wesleyan at the time, but resigned the
next year. The farm, which sold for $10,000 in 1865, consisted of 320
acres and sold at a trifle over $30.00 per acre. The purchaser was the
father of William Litzenberg, well remembered by many of our people.
Much of the old farm is now owned by Edith Hoaglin Chase.
*****
Another:
“Wanted - 10,000 pounds of broom corn cut when the seed is in milk and
cured in prime order. Delivered in Mt. Pleasant in Sept., Oct, and
November. Seed furnished gratis. F.E. Hobert.”
Mr. Hobert, for a number of years, operated a broom factory at the
southeast corner of Henry and Jackson, the site now occupied by a
dwelling. A block west, northwest corner of Henry and White, was
formerly a tannery.
Union Hospital Wants Rags
“Keokuk, April 8, 1865. --- Editor Journal – We
have at this time 1,000 sick and wounded here. We are out of rags and
cannot get them and are compelled to tear up sheets to dress the wounds
of our brave boys, who have been wounded in defense of our country.
Cannot you call the attention of your Soldier’s Aid societies to this
matter and send me some. By so doing, you will confer a great favor on
our Iowa wounded boys. J. Todd, State Agent.”
Perhaps few of our readers know of, or at least have visited, the Keokuk
National Cemetery, which is located just outside the Keokuk city limits.
The federal cemetery is an enclosure of 2.75 acres. In the enclosure are
buried 1,107 Union soldiers, of which number 45 are unknown. The
cemetery is in an impressive spot, and well worth visiting, being but
fifty miles south of Mount Pleasant.
Another National cemetery is located at Rock Island, that is the
military reservation. Of course, now, no one is admitted. The cemetery
proper has an area of just a little over seven acres, and therein are
buried 805 Confederate soldiers, 46 of whom are unknown. During the
Civil War, a military prison was maintained on the island for
Confederate prisoners, and those interred in the cemetery died there. In
Margaret Mitchel’s “Gone With the Wind,” the author devotes a page or so
to the unsanitary conditions and the care given the southern soldiers at
the Rock Island prison, and declared that the neglect and treatment was
nearly as bad as at Andersonville.
*****
The New Depot: -
“Work has been commenced on the new depot by the B. & M. Ry. Co. It will
be located three streets east of the present location, where the company
has secured ample grounds for the accommodation of their business. We
are told that they will build large, commodious and convenient passenger
and freight houses. This is an improvement much needed.”
The first “depot” of the B. & M., now the C. B. & Q., was located
between Main and Adams. In 1865, as noted above, the old first depot was
taken down and the new one erected about where the Farmer’s Union
warehouse stands. The present freight house was built then. Later, the
passenger station was moved back to Main Street, where it stood for many
years. When the present station was built, the old passenger depot was
sold, and moved to the southeast corner of Adams and Saunders, and
turned into Mason’s Soft Drink factory. It is now a residence property,
but has been in no ways changed on the exterior. The freight house
remains as it was built in 1865.
*****
Mourning for the dead Lincoln. ---
“The companies under our command are hereby ordered, in obedience to the
command of General Baker, to wear suitable badges of mourning on the
left arm for the term of thirty days from this date. P. Jericho, S.D.
Swan, G.C. Van Allen.
P. Jericho was an uncle of John H. and William Jericho of this city and
ran a harness shop for some years on West Monroe about where the McLeran
store now stands. G.C. Van Allen was the father of A.M. Van Allen, and
who established the abstract business, which later was taken over by his
son, and in which his grandson, George Van Allen is actively engaged
now.
*****
The bitterness of war is expressed tragically by
the following editorial appearing in the “Daily Journal” of April 20th,
1865. Lee had surrendered, the fighting was over, aside from some
isolated areas and President Lincoln had been assassinated.
“It is stated that the rebel general, Lee, and staff, on their entrance
into Richmond, after the surrender, were received with cheers from the
populace, and that even some Union officers raised their hat to the old
rebel. We hope for the good name of the brave men who have after four
years of war, succeeded in humbling the armies of rebellion, that the
latter is not true. General Lee is a traitor to his country and richly
deserves hanging.”
The years have softened the anguish of those days, and General Lee is
now held in the deepest respect in the hearts of a united nation. If any
of our readers pass through Lexington, Ky., by all means stop and visit
the Washington and Lee university and in particular stand before the
tomb of the great soldier and educator. Had Lincoln lived, he and Lee
would have done a great service for the stricken southland.
*****
Here are several items from the “local” columns
of the “Daily Journal” of 1865---
“Wanted --- 400 cords of hard wood at the Iowa State Hospital for the
Insane, for which the highest price in cash will be paid.”
“Strike ---Three thousand workmen at the Brooklyn navy yards are on
strike, owing to a reduction of fifty cents per day in their wages.”
“Sir Fredrick Bruce, the new British minister to the United States,
arrived at Washington on Saturday night. He arrived just in time to send
a piece of great news to his government, which some members of that
government will not relish at all.”
“The “Sisters” will meet with Miss Myra Bird tomorrow, Thursday, April
13th, in the afternoon.”
“Lost --- A pocketbook containing $58.00 in money and a small bunch of
hair.”
“Notice --- All persons liable to the federal tax on income, licenses,
carriages, pianos, melodeons, gold watches, etc., are required to report
to me at my office in Union block, Mt. Pleasant, on or before the first
day of May next, after which time those failing to report will be liable
to penalties as prescribed by law. C.F. Devol, Ass’t U.S. Assessor.”
“We learn that a sugar refinery will be put in operation in Mt. Pleasant
shortly. The enterprise is in good hands and will be sure to go ahead.”
(Ed But it didn’t.)
("Mt. Pleasant News", January 17, 1944, page 2)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Resource provided by Henry County Heritage Trust, Mount Pleasant, Iowa;
transcription done by Liam Christensen, University of Northern Iowa
Public History Field Experience Class, Spring 2025.
Contributed to Henry County IAGenWeb March 2025.
|