Audubon County |
Home History > 1887 Audubon |
AUDUBON. (CONT'D)![]() CHURCHES.with a communion service, that being also the first observance of the Lord's Supper in a church edifice in Audubon. The building was formally dedicated Sabbath morning, May 9th, 1880, when the small sum of $125.00, being asked for, was quickly raised to free all indebtedness. In the evening of the same day Rev. E. B. Cousins was duly installed as the first pastor, and served the church as such four years. His successors were Rev. D. A. Blose, fifteen months, Rev. J. A. Bartlet, one year, and the present incumbent, Rev. E. Dickinson, who is most acceptably serving the church, and is witnessing encouraging fruits for his labors in the healthful increase of membership. The Presbyterian Sabbath School was organized in June, 1880, fixing the hour of meeting each Sabbath directly after the morning service, and by a steady, healthful growth has become a strong school A 1000-lb. Meneely Troy bell swings in the belfry of the church, the munificent gift of kind and generous friends. The Methodist Episcopal Church of Audubon was organized early in the year 1879, with Rev. J. W. Lewis as pastor, who conducted the first religious services held in Audubon, December 14th, 1878, with only fourteen persons present. This church proper then comprised in its field the entire north half of the county, known as the Hamlin Circuit, of which A. H. Roberts was duly appointed trustee February 8th, 1879. The very rapid growth of the town and church, however, soon demanded and secured the entire time of a pastor, which has been rewarded by a healthful, rapid growth. The church building is 30x50 feet, with corner towner and gallery, neatly finished and furnished inside, and is capable of seating three hundred people. The edifice was erected during the summer of 1880, at a cost of $3,000.00, the first money raised for that purpose being paid to Treasurer Roberts September 26th, 1879, while the first money paid on contract to R. A Chaplin was June 12th, 1880. The house was formally dedicated by Presiding Elder W. T. Smith, of Atlantic, December 12th, 1880, free of debt. The following are the pastors of this church from its organization: J. W. Lewis, one year; W. C. Smith, two years; L. M. Campbell, one year; J. W. Bott, three years; J. B. Harris, the present pastor, has been returned to the field his second year. The M. E. Sabbath School was organized April 13th, 1879, in the old school house, with A. H. Roberts superintendent, who has ever since most acceptably filled that important position. This school is in a flourishing condition, being the largest in town. The hour of meeting is directly after morning service, each Sabbath. The Baptists also have effected an organization and have purchased a lot in a beautiful part of the city, but have not yet erected their church edifice. A goodly number of that denomination are settled in and around Audubon, and doubtless will soon be worshiping in a church home of their own. The Roman Catholic Church, under the watchful charge of Rev. Father Daily, is growing and prosperous, and afords convenient church privileges for all in the vicinity of that persuasion. They have a comfortable and tasty church edifice, 28x45, situated on East Hill. Rev. J. L. Yaggy, presiding elder of the Evangelical church of Northwestern Iowa, is located here, and has effected a strong organization in Viola township, where a spacious and costly edifice has been erected. They have organizations in other precincts of the county. The Seventh-Day Adventists also have a following in this county, and have effected various organizations in different localities. They hold meetings in Audubon occasionally in the Ward school house, conducted by Elder Willoughby. Transcribed February, 2025 by Cheryl Siebrass from History of Audubon and Audubon County, Iowa, The Eden of the West., 1887, pp. 28-30. |