Woodbury County, Iowa
Genealogy for Woodbury County, Iowa, USA. Click here for the HOME page.
Early Brief History
The following county history summary was adapted from
Project Completion Report Volume 15, Number 58. It was written by Marlin R.
Ingalls, Project Architectural Historian for the Highway Archaeology Program at
The University of Iowa.
On their trip to the Pacific Northwest, the explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark passed through present-day Woodbury County in 1804 where the expedition's only fatality, Sgt. Charles Floyd, was buried on a bluff overlooking the Missouri River. Permanent white settlement of the area that presently comprises Woodbury County only began in 1848 when William Thompson built a log house and grist mill near this bluff. The following year, Theophile Bruguier, a French-Canadian fur trader and son-in-law of the Yankton chief War Eagle, settled at the mouth of the Big Sioux River (Warner 1974:50-51 Writers' Program 1942:5, 16; Fulton 1940:12).
In 1851, the Iowa State Legislature established a new
county encompassing the two settlements. Originally named Wahkaw, the county was
renamed Woodbury when the legislature passed an act organizing the county in
1853. Later that summer, a state-appointed commission designated Thompson's log
house at Floyds' Bluff as the county seat. A rival community, Sergeant's Bluff
City, attempted to wrest the seat of government from Floyd's Bluff. In late
1854, a third town was established when Dr. John K. Cook platted Sioux City. The
following year the new community gained a post office and a General Land Office.
By 1856 when the voters of Woodbury County approved the removal of the county
seat to Sioux City, the town had two hotels, a bank, and a population of 150
people. A sawmill on Perry Creek provided lumber to merchants who constructed
false-front stores along Pearl and Third Streets (Marks 1904:756; Warner
1974:73-75, 79; Iowa Writers' Program 1942:17, 27-29; Fulton 1940:15-16; Sioux
City Art Center 1983:9-10; O'Connor 1932:39-40).
While overland transportation to Sioux City was made
possible by a road from Fort Dodge, river travel would be the principal means of
transportation. Beginning with the arrival of the steamboat Omaha in 1856, Sioux
City soon became an important stop for riverboat captains heading up the
Missouri River. In 1857, Sioux City was incorporated and the citizens held their
first election. Also that year a steam ferry began service on the Missouri
River, and the county's first newspaper, the Sioux City Eagle, was begun. Two
years later, the county awarded a contract to S. H. Cassady to construct a brick
courthouse. However, the effort was abandoned and it was not until the 1870s
before the first building especially intended to be a courthouse was completed.
In addition to its businesses, Sioux City boasted two schools, five churches,
and a Masonic lodge on the eve of the Civil War (Iowa Writers' Program,
1942:35-38, 69-73; Warner 1974:75, 192-201,213).
Railroad Construction
More significant to Sioux City's development than
Missouri River steamboat traffic were the railroads constructed in Woodbury
County during the late 19th century. Although a rail line running east from the
town was surveyed in 1856, a railway did not become a reality until 1867 when
the Sioux City and Pacific entered the county. The line which connected with the
Union Pacific in Nebraska via Missouri Valley reached Sioux City in 1868. A
branch of the Chicago and Northwestern, this railroad had a major impact upon
the town. Freight shipped from New York reached Sioux City in eight days. During
the summer following the start of rail service, a boom in real estate sales
occurred when 145 lots in the East Addition sold at auction in a single day. The
Sioux City and Pacific also led to the creation of the towns of Salix and Sloan
(Iowa Writers' Program 1942:79-87; Warner 1974:122-123).
During the next two decades, other railroads built
lines to Sioux City, including the Dubuque & Sioux City (1870), a branch of the
Illinois Central, the Sioux City & St. Paul (1872), the Sioux City & Pembina
(1873), the Northwestern (1887}, the Union Pacific (1889), and the Sioux City &
Northern (1890), which later became part of James G. Hill's Great Northern. In
funding the Sioux City & Pembina, promoters from Sioux City and Yankton, South
Dakota, collected over $200,000 to construct a line between the two towns. This
railroad had mixed blessings for Sioux City because the Missouri River steamboat
trade, which had continued to play an important role in the town's economy even
after the arrival of the first railroad, moved up-river to Yankton. However, the
railways were the unchallenged transportation system; by 1890 Woodbury County
had a total track of 121 miles, and with six trunk lines and the branch lines of
16 other railroads, Sioux City had become an important railroad hub (Iowa
Writers' Program 1942:82-85; Warner 1974:123-130; Petersen 1965:202-203).
Industrial Growth in Sioux City
Through its railroads, Sioux City became a thriving
commercial center. In addition to 13 banks and many mercantile establishments,
by 1890 the city boasted a growing industrial base. The total manufacturing
output of Sioux City that year was an estimated $14,000,000. Among its 70
manufacturers were an engine works, a stove factory, a paving-brick and tile
works, a butter tub factory, a sash and door factory, and a planing mill. The
city's two auxiliary printing houses produced as many "ready-print" sheets as
four other cities combined, and were surpassed only by New York, Chicago, and
Kansas City. Many of the industries in Sioux City, such as its flour and oatmeal
mills, linseed oil mills, and agricultural implement works, were related to
farming (Warner 1974:182, 219-222, 231; Iowa Writers' Program 115-116, 120).
The most significant industry was the city's meat
packing houses. This business began in 1859 when a local retailer, James E.
Booge, bought water-damaged grain salvaged from a sunken steamboat to fatten his
hogs. Unable to locate a market in which to sell the animals, Booge decided to
slaughter the hogs and sell the meat to customers. Because the pork sold
quickly, he invested the money in more animals and hired several butchers from
St. Louis. Demand increased during and after the Civil War, and the enterprise
prospered. After enlarging his packing plant in 1871, Booge built a new facility
in 1880 which covered ten acres and could handle 800 hogs and 100 cattle per day
(Iowa Writers Program 1942:114-115; O'Connor 1932:34}.
The packing industry of course benefited from railroad construction in Sioux City, but it also received a boost from the completion of the Union Stock Yards in 1887. By 1888, James E. Booge & Sons had been joined by two other establishments: W.H. Silberhorn, whose machinery was powered by a pair of 225-horsepower Corliss engines, and Edward Haakinson & Company, whose complex of buildings included a 5-story packing house. In 1890, the town's meat packers slaughtered a total 12,000 hogs and 2,000 cattle daily. With an annual output of 680,000 hogs and 33,500 cattle, Sioux City ranked fifth among the nation's packing houses (O'Connor 1932:34-35; Warner 1974:222-224; Iowa Writers' Program 1942:116).
Urban Development in Sioux City
As a source of jobs, the packing houses and other
manufacturers attracted many people to Sioux City. Between the 1880s and 1890s,
the town experienced phenomenal population growth. In 1880, 7,500 people lived
in Sioux City; ten years later the federal census counted more than 38,000
citizens living there. Consequently suburbs such as Leeds were developed to
house the expanding labor force (Warner 1974:182; Sioux City Art Center
1983:15).
The increase in commercial activity and population
created demands that required the expansion of Sioux City's infrastructure.
During the economic boom of the 1880s many substantial buildings were built
along lower Fourth Street such as the 1889 Lexington Block. A medical
establishment, St. Joseph Hospital opened in 1889. Among Sioux City's
attractions were its 1892 public library, the Peavey Grand Opera House, and the
exhibitions held at the Corn Palace during the years 1887 to 1891. In 1890,
classes began at the University of Northwest. Four years later this institution
merged with Charles City College to become Morningside College (Petersen
1965:200-201; Sioux City Art Center 1983:15-17; Iowa Writers' Program 1942:89;
O'Connor 28, 35-41; Federal Writers' Project 1938:312).
Sioux City's gas company, which began operation in
1872, was expanded in 1889 when four miles of pipe were constructed. The town's
electric service was inaugurated in the 1880s. By 1890, the glow of 118 gas
lamps and 76 electric lamps illuminated Sioux City streets. The town also had 20
miles of streets paved with wood blocks, a water system that included 30 miles
of water mains, and 32 miles of sewer lines. The total valuation of Sioux City's
improvements in 1890 was $16,000,000 (Warner 1974 179-182, 231-233; O'Connor
1932:40-41).
In 1884 five horse-drawn street cars began operating on three miles of track. By 1890, the system included 16 miles of track and 66 electric powered cars. Cable car service began in 1889 with 16 cars and a 3½ -mile long track. The most ambitious mass transit transportation system in Sioux City was the elevated railway. The ell was the creation of several influential financiers including Arthur S. Garretson, who was treasurer for the Sioux City & Northern Railroad, and packing-house pioneer James E. Booge. King Bridge & Iron Company of Cleveland Ohio built the 25-foot high steel structure at a cost of $242,000 (Warner 1974:234-235; O'Connor 1932:32-33; Petersen 1965:197).
In 1891, cars pulled by coal-burning locomotives began running on the elevated between downtown and Morningside Avenue. One year later, the Floyd River flooded 218 downtown blocks. Stories about flood refugees who escaped drowning by climbing upon the ell's platforms were well publicized and purportedly led to Chicago's famous elevated railway. Following the Panic of 1893, the ell's owners declared bankruptcy. Following its conversion to electricity, the system was abandoned around 1899. Before its demise, however, the elevated spurred the development of Morningside, a suburb southeast of Sioux City (O'Connor 1932:33; Iowa Writers' Program 1942:119; Thompson 1989;117-119}.
Turn-of-the-century Agriculture
In addition to making it a desirable place to live for
its citizens, Sioux City's growth helped to secure the town's position as an
important trade center in northwestern Iowa. To the people who tilled the land
outside of Sioux City, the town was important for its stockyards, where farmers
sold their livestock, its linseed oil works, where they sold the flax they
raised, and its railroads that the farmers used to ship other farm products to
larger cities. Each of these features encouraged farmers to increase
agricultural acreage and make improvements to their farms (Thompson 1989:40-43).
In 1860, when only 28% of Iowa land was used for agricultural purposes, the estimated market value of Woodbury County farm real estate was $9 per acre; statewide this figure was an estimated $12 an acre. By 1900, when Iowa farm acreage had increased to 96% of the state's area, the estimated value of farmland in the county was $37 per acre. The increase in land values during this forty-year period was due in part to improvements such as new buildings and fences (Murray 1967:456-460, Farm Real Estate Values by County table). Hence, Sioux City's prosperity not only shaped the built environment in Sioux City, but also influenced the surrounding rural landscape.
While railroads and urban industries encouraged
farmers to place more land in production, other factors would play a role in
increasing Iowa's agricultural output at the turn of the century. Significant
among these factors were technological advances in farming such as mechanized
farm machinery, hybrid corn, new crops, better breeds of livestock, and improved
planting techniques. Advocates of this more scientific approach to agriculture,
known as Progressive Farming, included the faculty of the state agricultural
college at Ames and the state's county extension agents. Through their extension
agents, county farmers learned the latest information about crop rotation and
proper tillage. Starting in 1918, home demonstration agents taught farm women
food storage methods such as canning, which helped to improve the nutrition and
health of farm families. The Farm Bureau would also play an important role in
educating farm men and women about good agricultural practices. In 1920, the
Iowa Farm Bureau Federation assisted in the formation of the American Farm
Bureau Federation (Wall 1978:129; Ross 1951:123-127,142; Sage 1974:304-305}.
References Cited
Federal Writers' Project
1986 The WPA Guide to 1930s Iowa. Reprinted. Iowa
State University, Ames. Originally published under the title Iowa: A Guide to
the Hawkeye State in 1938, Viking Press, New York.
Fulton, A. R.
1940 A History of Woodbury County. An 1868 manuscript
transcribed by the Works Progress Administration, Iowa Historical Records Survey
Project, Des Moines. Ms. On file, State Historical Society of Iowa Library, Iowa
City.
Iowa Writers' Program
1942 Woodbury County History, Iowa. Ms. On file, State
Historical Society of Iowa Library, Iowa City.
Marks, Constant R.
1904 Past and Present of Sioux City and Woodbury
County, Iowa. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago.
Murray, William G.
1967 Iowa Land Values: 1803-1967. The
Palimpsest48:441-504.
O'Connor, Rose A.
1932 Sioux City: A True Story of How it Grew.
Hoyt-Purcell Company, Sioux City.
Petersen, William J.
1965 The Great Northern in Iowa. The Palimpsest
46:193-208.
Ross, Earle D.
1951 Iowa Agriculture: An Historical Survey. Iowa
State Historical Society, Iowa City.
Sage, Leland L.
1974 A History of Iowa. Iowa State University Press,
Ames.
Sioux City Art Center
1983 Sioux City, Iowa: An Architectural View. Sioux
City Art Center.
Thompson, William H.
1989 Transportation in Iowa: A Historical Summary.
Iowa Department of Transportation, Ames.
Wall, Joseph F.
1978 Iowa: A Bicentennial History. W. W. Norton and
Company, New York.
Warner, A.
1974 History of the Counties of Woodbury and Plymouth,
Iowa. Reprinted Unigraphic, Inc. Evansville, Indiana. Originally published
1890-91, A. Warner and Company, Chicago.
You can read more about Woodbury County History at the
Iowa Office of the State Archaeologist, a research, service, and educational
unit of The University of Iowa.
© Copyright Greg T. Brown 1997-2018. All Rights Reserved.
TERMS, CONDITIONS, DISCLAIMERS
Copyright
Fundamentals for Genealogy
Woodbury County Iowa Genealogy.
Click here for the HOME page.